Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Ode To The Working Mom



I wrote this all this morning
It's what I had to do
No one understands this plight
Except, of course, for you

Because you are the working mom
Your cross you have to bear
Pass this one to your friends
And show them that you care...


Ode To The Working Mom



My hands may be un-manicured
But the dogs are fed and walked
"Play with me, please, Mama!"
My daughter often balks

But the laundry's undone
The cat needs the vet
And many more "To Do's"
If I had 5 minutes in the morning, I (maybe) might read the news. 

After a fuss, we race to the bus
I look down to see
I found us both matching outfits
Clean and static free

Yippee!!

Family, neighbors, friends
Often pitching in
So my perfect little one
Can always wear a grin

Makeup's applied at red lights
My hair is such a mess
"I have 3 inch roots!” I cry as I
Pluck pet hair from my dress

No time to eat
No-no, no time for mom
Should I wake up at 5 AM tomorrow?
I ponder my 6 AM alarm, as time; I beg, steal and borrow

I just can't stop, no time at all
I arrive at my client's home
I pop a mint, grab my bag
Oops! DON'T DROP THE GLASS iPhone! 

My office is my car
Between meetings making deals
As I drive, I reach down
And slip off my too-high, high heels

My back is acting up; I really have to hit the gym
I schedule a meeting with myself
The gym says I can't come in

My identity's been stolen; they need a new credit card
I hand it over, pray it goes through
I feel like a tub of lard

I'm finally exercising
Doing something for myself
Wait! Wait! Wait! My daughter's project…
…I left it on the shelf!

I dart home to get it
I "fly" it to the school
I run into the principal
Who takes me for a fool

Home once more, I change my clothes
I have another meeting
That time I just had to myself was little more than fleeting

Now I have some cash in hand
It's time to do some shopping
Food's the only thing I ever have time to buy
It's not like I go club-hopping

HA!
 TODAY ONLY! WITNESS THE BATTLE BETWEEN 
DAIRY BARN AND THE SUPERMARKET

Dairy Barn wins hands down
There's no time to wait in line!
If I had just one wish
It would be for (a lot) more time

I don't need clothes, I don't need shoes
Don't need a Prada bag
"My child should want for nothing", I say
As I view my cheek in the mirror
What's that? A new sag?!

OY!

I used to be pretty, I used to be fun
"What happened?!"I ask the sky.
“If you don't do it, no one will,” says the sky in the reply

"You'll have to slave to just get by."

I try, try-try-try to show myself kindness
As I do to others
But my life, it just won't let me
Hey, I'd-be-on-a-massage-table-right-now, if I had my druthers

I dream and dream and dream in vain
One day that Universe'll hear me
Why can't my car just drive its own darn self
So I can do other things while it steers me?

Clients calling, ow, my neck, the bus is coming home
I have to make it there in time
And make it with a comb

We rush inside to brush and rush back out 
So much "stuff" to do
We have to beat the clock again
Lots of errands, homework, choke-choke down the leftover stew

My friends say…

Can you believe So-And-So cheated on What’s-Her-Name? Have you heard of the tornado?”
I say, “Who? What? Where? What are you talking about? Does this even matter?"
“Oh, God. I just burned the potato!”

MAN!

Well, we have to fit it all in, somehow
We must fit everything
Perhaps when things finally calm down
I’ll catch up with current events in the spring

With so little time available, I choose my sacrifices
No TV for 3 years straight
It’s off my list of vices

Sorry, Babe but I digress; "Mo-no-po-ly at 8!"
Let's play tent and Barbies
And stay up really late

For these are the important moments
When we're looking back
I hope my child remembers, I think
As she walks on my back...hoping to hear a crack...crack...crack...

"OW! Thank you, Honey. Mommy needed that." 

I love you, my child, with all my heart
One day you'll understand
That doing this is sometimes easier when you have four hands.

But this is not the path I walk
For you, I am so sorry
But with food, shelter, clothes and oodles of love
Please, honey. Don't you worry.

Mommy is all right
And you are just perfection
For you are the most important of all
No matter which direction

Life takes us on a journey
Sometimes bumpy, sometimes smooth
No matter what, you are my love
Let's giggle...and show me those new dance moves!

WHOO! 

I kiss your head as we lie in bed
I read a bedtime story
You close your eyes 
"We did it today," I say, in all my glory

For when you smile and sleep with peace 
I feel I've done my job
There is not enough money in the world
To compensate The Working Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment