Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Dating Horror Story #2

Once I was invited to brunch by a potential suitor. I wasn't excited about it but he seemed funny and funny is the best way to get in my pants. Sorry, Mom. I mean, to win my heart. So we made plans to meet at a restaurant on the east side of Manhattan. You figure on a Sunday there wouldn't be too much traffic but I live on Long Island and New York is a desirable place to go so it took me 2 hours to drive 25 miles. On to the juicy stuff...

So, I pee a lot. Those who know me well know this private little tidbit. It's one of the few things (okay, many things) keeping me from my unattainable goal of perfection. Needless to say, after 3 cups of coffee at home and two bottles of water on the way in, I was DYING!!!

I called my date and asked if we could meet downtown because I knew my bladder wouldn't hold the vast amount of liquids I has consumed so he mentioned a coffee shop in the East Village.

By the time I parked and walked there I was on the verge of tears but I politely met my date and ordered a coffee before seeking the bathroom. I asked the woman behind the counter if I could use her bathroom and she said, "We don't have one." I gulped and then a tear streamed down my face/ she told me to go to Whole Foods across the street. My date walked me there and waited outside.

By the time I navigated through the store and got back outside I had to turn around and face the traffic home in order to pick up my daughter. By the way, I was ravenous and the coffee shop he chose didn't serve food. It's a "coffee shop." Wink, wink.

He walked me to the garage. My bill was $4.75. I had $4.00 in cash on me. My date was polite enough to let me know where there was an ATM a few blocks away. He couldn't spot me 75 cents? Was he joking?!?! I would give 75 cents to a total stranger let alone someone I wanted to date. And he is a successful attorney with two offices. I say, "Oy!"

2 comments:

  1. Oh, iphones. The first sentence in the last paragraph should read "I had $4.00 in cash on me. My date was polite enough..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geez, if he's that stingy with pocket change, imagine how stingy he'd be in other areas (wink wink). A selfish man is a joyless partner.

    ReplyDelete