Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Kids and Their Chicken Fingers

I hear it all the time, "I can't get my kid to eat anything but chicken fingers, hot dogs or pizza." And you can substitute those for cheeseburgers, Trix, Goldfish or whatever junk food you can think of.

First off, is your child working, making the money required to buy his/her own food? Is your child driving to the store or restaurant himself/herself? I tend to think the answer is no to both of those questions. Now that we have that settled, please admit that your child is eating what you are offering. How about not offering unhealthy choices? Now that is a concept. If your child never had a chicken finger or a hot dog maybe he/she wouldn't know the difference.

Now, I am not a drill sergeant so I do give my daughter treats but they are truly treats. I tell my daughter that she will not grow if she doesn't eat healthy foods. We make fun of people eating unhealthy foods saying that they will soon be sick. It is a subtle brainwashing but it works. And I also eat healthy foods in front of her (as well as behind her back) because learning by example is the best way to get through.

I have a lot to say on this topic but I will just share one little tip right now I learned from my mom. Thanks, Mom! Most of us aren't ready for a complete lifestyle overhaul so, baby steps...

Most kids are afraid to try new foods, especially veggies. One thing I found that really works: pick a healthy vegetable, whether it be broccoli, spinach, cauliflower or whatever you like. Make some pasta and throw some of this vegetable in the boiling pasta water about 3 minutes before the pasta is done. Drain as usual. Throw the veggies in the blender and then add them to your sauce, saving one or two whole pieces per person. The pureed veggies will be so well hidden that your child will probably not notice them. Then take your whole pieces of this vegetable and place a couple on everyone's plate. Your child will most likely not take a bite if they are not a good veggie eater and no need to fight about it. You eat it off your child's plate and tell them how it's so delicious and they are really missing out. By seeing this vegetable and noting your reaction, by them eating it without knowing it; by it becoming not so foreign, weird, gross, your child will eventually at least taste it. I swear. And that is a good start!

Try these healthy whole grain pastas. Much more fiber and nutrition than your overly processed white flour varieties. Baby steps!











































No comments:

Post a Comment